From:
Mark McCafferty <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark McCafferty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Feb 1999 13:13:14 -0500
Mark Lewin writes:

        Judging from the explosion of internet broadcasts
of hockey the past few years, I'm wondering where Maine is.
While the Maine hockey tradition doesn't go back as far
as an RPI, Denver, Minnesota or Wisconsin, they have
a history in Division 1 that is truly impressive and
do have a following across the country. Yet, Maine has
no internet presence in hockey broadcasts. Has anyone
tried to contact the Maine alumni office to have them
cough up some funds to get a project going? If it worked
at RPI, it sure has a good chance at Maine.
Anything in the works that hasn't been publicized?

Well that's a good question...

I have been looking into getting Maine hockey games on the internet and
have talked with a few people about this.  I talked with Hockey East
Director of Media Relations Ed Saunders and he said that there was some
interest at the beginning of the season by UM's sports information.  I
also talked with Michael McCauley, the professor who is head of the
student radio station at Maine, about this because the student station
WMEB 91.9 broadcast some of the home games.  I personally would like to
have the students get involved in doing broadcast on the internet.  I
think this would help to add credibility to their experience.  All of
the games are broadcast on 620 AM, a local sports station owned by
Stephen King.  What would be ideal is that a partnership could be
formed so that the students could do the home games on the net and WZON
could do the away games.

I do not know the level of interest for having these games broadcast on
the net.  I think that since most of the players friends, family, and
relatives do not live within the broadcast range of WZON or WMEB that
they would have some interest in hearing these games.  If there are
others that would like to listen to these games, it would be nice to
know.  I plan to send this email to Michael McCauley, WZON, and UM's
sports information.

I personally listen to games on the net though they are mostly HE
games.  Since I live over 300 miles away from Boston, the internet sure
beats the days when I would try to get BU games on  the AM.

Mark McCafferty
Masters Student in Communication
University of Maine