Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 09:52:29 -0700
Things we know to be true:

1. The USCHO poll is an opinion poll.

2. TV personalities are FULL of opinions.

Hence, who gives a flying whoozit what the Fox broadcasters said about the
UNH-Maine matchup? It's obvious they feel that the battle between Maine and
UNH was for the #1 spot in the country, and what's wrong with that?

Nobody be dissin' the Sioux. It simply comes down to perspective. I see the
WCHA every week, and HEA occasionally. NoDak sweeping Denver is really no
big deal; the Pioneers are an overrated team playing in a weak conference;
there's a significant dropoff after CC and NoDak. It's no disrespect for
the Sioux, but I feel the challenges they face pale in comparison to those
at the top of Hockey East. I'd wager to say that's how the announcers feel.

Right or wrong, it's only an opinion.

I've seen countless MSU games this year and heard the announcers talk about
the Spartans as the best club in the country. In fact during the recent
Spartan-Wolverine matchup I heard the same words: "this matchup is likely
to decide who is the top team in the country."

I can't tell you how many times I've watched a Gopher game on MSC and heard
their announcers claim they're the best in the country (although to their
credit I haven't heard it yet this year).

Let the announcers be homers; it's one of the things that makes watching
the regional telecasts a bit more interesting than bland national ones.
It's not like it's on ESPN or anything.

Keep in mind that regardless of what the polls or press say, it all comes
down to a Saturday night (ok, afternoon) in April to determine who is #1.

greenie