From:
Paul Gentile <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Gentile <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 10:39:45 -0500
>From: Will Anzenberger
>at 12-7-2, what is the deal with this team?  I know that they got
>through a tough series with Maine (but both games were at home).  It
>is frustrating (and maybe the preseason #1 didn't help).

Good question! I'm not sure I know what may be wrong, but I think they just
didn't come to play. If BC doesn't skate hard, they are susceptible to game
plans like the one Harvard had last night. Tenacious two-man forecheck
against a BC blueline crew that wasn't fast enough to counter effeciently.
I've seen the BC defense handle this type of attack before so I know they
can do it, but it sounds like they didn't have it last night. The Eagle
defense is highly skilled offensively and they also get a good deal of help
from the forwards in making quick transitions, but it wasn't enough last
night.

>I understand Reasoner is gone, but this was known prior to the
>pre-season rankings.  Is this goalie that committed to BC from St.
>Sebastian's (next season) the *answer*?

Gionta is on pace to exceed last year's performance and the way Farkas and
Bellefeuille (and Chris Masters) have stepped up their game is certainly
reason enough to expect the BC forwards to be equally effective as last
year. Of course, Reasoner supplied much more than just offense and maybe
that quality hasn't been replaced.

>I know that they are just a few points out of first place in HEA, but
>have they only swept one HE weekend (UML)?

They swept Lowell and split with UNH and Maine. They also split with BU
(road loss) and Northeastern (OT loss).

If I was a BC fan, I would be concerned about their inconsistent play all
year but I'd be hoping that York could duplicate last year's performance by
taking a 16-8-4 team on a 12-0-1 stretch that put them in the national
championship game. This year could very well turn out the same.