From:
Joseph M LaCour <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joseph M LaCour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Aug 1998 13:13:28 -0400
Last week or so it was posted here about the NCAA including the
conference's relative strength in computing final NCAA seedings.

Looking at the PWR, we see the criteria as Head-2-head, record in last 20
(now 15?), common opponents, and RPI (i think I forgot 1 here).  This is
all well and good and works well for the CCHA, WCHA, HEA, and ECAC.  But
what about our new friends on the block, the MAAC?

I've looked at most of the D1 MAAC schedules and they all appear fairly
intramural ie they're just playing themselves with few, if any, outside
opponents.

I looked specifically at UConn and Quinnipiac.  UConn plays Mankato St
twice and Army once.  Q'pac plays Army once and Air Force twice.

What if one MAAC team runs the league table and goes 1 - 2 or even 0 -3
against their non conference foes?  What would their final PWR be?

Their record in their last 15 would be, at the worst, 12 - 3, which would
win most PWR comparisons.  Since their not playing any other TUC schools
(especially Quinnipiac), common opponents and H2H would not matter.  The
RPI is interesting.  Their overall record would be something and 3 which
would get a top 10 RPI record #, but what about opponent's record and
opponent's opponents?  Since the MAAC schools just play (pretty much)
each other how does this factor?  I don't have Joe Schlobotnik's computer
model handy, but I figure it would be a middle of the pack.

Therefore, a school like UConn or Q'pac could, conceivably, under the
current system, get a top 10 PWR and make the tourny, *based on the
current scheme*.  Is this why the conference strength was added?

It will be interesting this January when the first PWR and RPI come out
to see how the MAAC stacks up against the other 4.

Confused in MD
Joe

Halpern for the Hobey.  And if he wins, would anyone in DC notice?

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]