From:
Greg Sorenson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Greg Sorenson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 1996 20:35:34 -0600
Matt Calderwood writes:

<<Finally, I apologize if this is totally false, but a few years back, I
     heard secondhand a supposed quote from BU coach Jack Parker, in which
     he supposedly said, "If you're still at BU for your senior year,
     you're doing something wrong."  The implication, of course, was that
     Parker considered his program a breeding ground for the NHL.  It may
     have just been something spread by bitter Maine fans after the '91
     Hockey East final (Shawn McEachern beats Garth Snow in OT to win it),
     another chapter in a fierce rivalry, but is Parker's stance on players
     leaving school prior to their senior year known?  Red Berenson's
     recent quotes reminded me of this.>>

I do recall hearing this quote, but the context was Parker referring to a
specific player or two (Tony Amonte in particular? My recollection of the
circumstances are hazy as well). Parker knew that he'd lose
about four players to the Olympics for the '92-93 season, and that the chances
of them returning to school were slim. Any implication that this quote
represents Parker's general outlook is unfounded.

--
Greg Sorenson