From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 1996 20:35:41 -0100
At 4:53 AM 3/18/96, Mike Hodgson wrote:
>    To add to your list of questions about the seeds, why was Clarkson
>seeded higher than Cornell.  Given the ECAC tourney, Head to Head, and
>Cornell's record in the last 16 games, I would have suggested that
>Cornell be 5th and Clarkson 6th.

It is always dangerous to pick only the things that seem to benefit one
team and use that to back up a point.  Only one of those three,
head-to-head, comes into effect when deciding who belongs ahead of whom.
Clarkson won 8 pairwise comparisons to Cornell's 7.  That seems to be the
difference.  If the teams had won an equal number of comparisons, then
Cornell would have presumably gotten the nod based on winning the
head-to-head comparison with Clarkson (using RPI, Last20 - not last 16,
head-to-head, record against common opponents, and record against all teams
under consideration).

>     In addition, this change would have set up a Cornell-W.Michigan
>game.  Wouldn't that have been interesting.

Yes, this was one of the matchups I think would have been interesting to
see.  Same with LSSU-PC, PC coach Paul Pooley being a former asst at LSSU
and employing the hallowed "Lake State" style to successful ends.  This
matchup would have occurred if LSSU had been kept in the West.

Mike Machnik                   [log in to unmask]            *HMM* 11/13/93