Date:
Sun, 17 Mar 1996 14:52:07 -0700

Deron Treadwell wrote:

>I would imagine that bad ice does not help the Terriers, and would slow them
>down.  However you wouldn't know that by looking at a great Hockey East
>Player of the Year Encore by Jay Pandolfo, or the great third period flury
>by the Terriers.  I'm not saying it didn't have an effect, because it
>affected all the teams.  It's just a question of making the adjustment, and
>not making this adjustment could be another reason Terrier fans can't point
>to for the disappointing performance last night.

Then again, Walter Brown Arena has a notoriously BAD ice surface; it takes
longer to hold after being cleaned by the Zamboni, and is very uneven in
many spots. Over the years many visiting coaches (usually the ones who from
from the western conferences) have complained to the point of blaming their
losses in the ice surfaces, most notably in 1989 when (I believe) then
#2-ranked Michigan lost to a quite average BU squad by a score of 1-0. Both
coaches and players were quoted the next day in the Globe (and on monday in
the Free Press) as saying that the ice conditions were "horrible," and that
in the third period, their players couldn't skate well enough and that the
puck was "too bouncy."

If there was anything that threw the Terriers off in their games at the New
Garden it was the size of the ice, as Walter Brown remains one of the
smaller rinks in Boston.

greenie
S P O O N ! !
(go BU)