From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Mar 1996 02:14:32 -0100
Sent to INFO-HOCKEY-L by "Nicely Nicely Johnson <[log in to unmask]>",
redirected to HOCKEY-L by me:

=====
On Fri, 15 Mar 1996, Deron Treadwell wrote:

> I thought Tom Noble looked very weak in net tonight.  Noble is the
> guy Jack Parker is going to go to in the NCAA's because Michel Laroque
> has not played much of late, but he looked weak allowing at least one goal
> right through the five hole (perhaps another) and he had a very good
> look.  I doubt he is pressured because this is the same freshman that
> was in goal for the 1995 Championship game, and he handled that well.

From what I saw, on PC's first goal, Noble had no chance.  IMO, this goal
was the result of a defensive breakdown where PC had a two on one and was
able to make a pass across the front of the crease for and easy tap in
over a sprawling Noble.  Though it was not his fault, I think the goal
kind of shook Noble and he never seemed to be able to recover.  In the
two seasons he's been here, I've never seen Noble shaken up and nervous
like that.  As Deron said, he had no problem starting the National
Championship game as a freshman last year.  The only thing that I can
think of is that he got spooked or something because the goal came so
early and it was the first shot he saw.  He is usually a "cool character"
under all circumstances and until tonight, I believe he was undefeated in
"big games."

On another point:
It seemed to me that one of PC's goals(either the 3rd or 4th) was
intentionally, no, blatantly kicked in.  It came in the second period.
Noble stopped the original shot and he looked to be sitting on the puck
or it was between his legs.  The PC player then kicked between Tom's legs
and the puck slid behind him into the net.  From the replay I saw it
looked pretty clear, yet no one seemed to say anything.  Did anyone else
see this or am I just imagining this.

Thanks,
Tyler Cyr
GO BU!
Now that the pressure of Hockey East is gone, we can concentrate on
winning the one that really counts.
=====