From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Mar 1996 23:53:20 -0100
At 11:14 PM 3/11/96, Tim Mustone wrote:
>As far as Game #2 went, the three stars were:
>3. Dan Lupo of NU (He had 2 goals and was one of the only bright spots for NU)

Scoring-wise, true, but I thought NU overall did a fine job of playng
defense and shutting Lowell down.  A few mistakes in the third cost them.
Reynolds also played well in the NU net and Shields had three helpers.

>When reading the Media information given to us before each game, I was kind of
>surprised to read about Dan McGillis for NU.  The Northeastern info office had
>labelled him a Hobey Baker candidate.  Paul had wrote that he had a strong ga
>game for NU (in Game #1) and I must disagree with him somewhat.  He obviously
>was the team leader out on the ice and he made sure to introduce himself to
>many of the Riverhawks and then drive them into the glass (McGillis is 6'3",
>220 lb).  Once the team got behind at the start of the second period, he didn't
>seem to do too much out there.  In the third, he took some real stupid
>penalties that hurt his team more than Lowell.  He did draw a Lowell player
>with him to even it up, but NU couldn't skate with Lowell 4 on 4.  Anyways...

I've got to disagree with your disagreement. :-)  I don't think McGillis
played particularly well Friday night either, but his penalties didn't hurt
NU.  The first time, he went off with Dartsch, and the teams exchanged 4x4
goals.  The second time, he went off along with Sbrocca and Barozzino for
Lowell (a good 2-for-1 swap) and NU scored on the power play.  By the time
the third period rolled around, it was pretty much garbage time and time to
set the tone for the next night, but his two penalties didn't really hurt
them (NU outscored Lowell 2-1 with #3 in the box) unless the thought is
that they still had a chance to come back.  I didn't think they did, down
5-1 after two.

McGillis only picking up one point in the series, an assist on Kayhko's
goal in the first on Saturday that put NU up 1-0, did hurt them.  They
needed him to be more involved in the offense.  He shot the puck well from
the point on the power play, but Fillion stopped them all.

Basically, Lowell has more scoring depth (NU people said they felt the
Huskies only had about five scorers up front, and one - Campbell - was out
Saturday) and they also were a more confident team.  That was the big
difference.

Mike Machnik                   [log in to unmask]            *HMM* 11/13/93