From:
Tony Buffa <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tony Buffa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 1996 22:30:09 -0700
Hey Gang,

In the quiet before the weekend playoff storm, and while we are still all
waiting for the prediction contest results from G.M. :-)  I have a
numerical question.  I think we all know there is a technical limit to reg
season games at 34 (altho some teams exceed that with exemptions for
Alaska, etc) ... but my question is, is there a playoff limit?  Or a limit
onthe two combined?  Back in the 80s, I recall some of the Mich St teams
getting close to 50 total games?

Theoretically, say if a conference wanted to make the playoffs  best of
three, a team could play 34 (plus exemptions) then 10 or so in the league
playoffs then more in NCAA, etc, and reach 50 fairly easily.  Is this the
reason why a the league championships are single game affairs?  I agree
with a recent comment that playoff hockey was meant to be decided in a
series, not a single game, and it always struck me as funny that the
NCAA's and the league championships are all single game affairs.

Well, just the musings of an idle mind!

Tony Buffa
RPI '64

GO RED!!  Heck with Central Florida, NCAAs with 20 losses is our goal and
the NCAAs worst nightmare!