From:
Anthony Frolik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Anthony Frolik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 1996 11:59:06 +0600
>It's a major concern IF the hockey coach happens to be listed as the
>instructor and is responsible for the student's grade.
>Even the appearance of impropriety can be as damaging as actual impropriety.
>I'm not implying that either is the case here.
>But not discuss it?
>Steve Klein
> ----------
>>I heard somewhere that Checco had to take a PE general ed class this
>>semester and that he is taking Hockey.  Can anyone give truth to this
>>rumor that I heard?
>
>I really don't think it is a major concern for us to discuss this.  Many
>schools do have programs that let students earn credits for athletic
>participation.  If Nick is doing that, so what?
>Nat Malen
>University of Wisconsin- Eau Claire

But if they are, it's a problem?  That's exactly the way it is at UMD.
Just a sample from the Spring Schedule:

PE
1925   Varsity Baseball (max 4 cr; prereq #) (P-N only)
     302030  Hanna, 1 cr

Translation:
The course number is PE 1925, the class can be repeated for up to 4
credits, the prerequisite is instructor approval, the grading option is
only pass/no pass, the call # is used to register for the class, the
instructor is Hanna (the baseball coach) and it is a one credit class.

Why is this a problem?  It isn't inflating their GPA (P-N has no effect on
the GPA).  The coach is the one that instructs them while they are at
school, and one credit per year certainly isn't going to let you graduate
any sooner.  I don't understand where the problem lies.

Tony

--
Anthony J. Frolik                            University of Minnesota Duluth
Go Bulldogs!                                  14-13-1 WCHA, 18-13-1 Overall