From:
Pam Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pam Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 1995 21:02:01 -0600
This isn't *strictly* college hockey related, but I think it is relevant
and might be of interest to people on the list.  It's about Minnesota's
panel for advising student athletes regarding pro athletics without their
risking their eligibility by contacting an agent.  We've occasionally
discussed the players' dilemma in making a decision to turn pro early, and
it's good to know something's being done to get the athletes good
information.

=46rom today's (10/25/95) Minnesota Daily

NCAA's no-agent rule has loophole

Kristian Pope - Staff Reporter

Gophers running back Chris Darkins is like other high-profile
student-athletes around the country: When it comes to dealing with sports
agents, he has seen it all.

=46or example, Darkins was recently offered a free plane ride by an agent.

"They give you lots of open-ended statements," said Darkins, considered by
many a potential first-round NFL draft pick. "Like, 'Man, I'll do anything
for you. Anything you want, just call me.'"

After his junior season last year, Darkins faced a difficult choice. Should
he turn pro immediately or use his remaining year of collegiate eligibility
and postpone a chance to make millions of dollars?

Deciding whether to turn down the money professional athletes make can be a
tough choice, one that can often require the assistance of an agent.

But the National Collegiate Athletic Association's stand on athletes
contracting with a sports agent while they are still eligible is made
perfectly clear. If an athlete strikes a deal, his or her college career
ends.

It's a situation which has confused and worried many student-athletes.
Should they consult an agent and risk the strict consequences?

Some athletes take their chances. Yet, for many, the risk of becoming
ineligible is entirely too great.

At the University, a sports counseling panel designed to answer
student-athletes' questions regarding turning professional has lifted many
of those fears and concerns.

The Professional Sports Counseling Panel, organized by University corporate
law professor John Matheson, has been a resource used by Minnesota's teams
for almost 1=AB years.

The panel, perfectly acceptable by NCAA guidelines, is a tool to instruct
student-athletes on matters normally dealt with through an agent.

That's why Darkins consulted with Matheson and the panel.

"I basically wanted to stay (at Minnesota) from the start," Darkins said.
"But the panel made my decision easier."

Darkins is, without question, Minnesota's most high-profile student-athlete.
Yet athletes from other sports, while not as recognizable as Darkins, can
have similar worries.

Questions brought to the panel by student-athletes include: "How do I sign
with an agent?" or "How much money can I make?"

Since no contracts are signed by players and no University officials are
compensated for their consulting duties, the NCAA sees no problem with the
consulting panels.

"We're telling (student-athletes), when you decide you have the opportunity
or you want to go pro, then we'll do whatever we can to help," Matheson
said. "We're not trying to cut short any potential you have. We're trying to
make sure you have the best possible opportunities."

Matheson said about six University athletes use the service. Typically
players in high profile men's sports consult the panel most. Gophers
football and hockey players get the most out of the panel, he said.

Still, baseball, basketball and tennis players, in addition to golfers, are
potential panel users.

The panel meets with student-athletes at the start of every season to
introduce what it can do.

"The idea is to get (the athletes) comfortable from the beginning," Matheson
said. "So they don't have to think, 'Should I have an agent' or 'What are
you hearing on the street.' That sort of thing."

Erik Rasmussen, a freshman on the Gophers hockey team, is also expected to
become a professional athlete. He, like the other athletes, said the panel's
benefits are invaluable.

"Definitely," Rasmussen said. "You don't have to advertise yourself or leave
early for anything."

A growing trend

According to the 1995-96 NCAA manual, panels are not mandatory. But
Minnesota shows they're a growing trend.

Matheson said Minnesota's panel was first conceived in 1988 under then-men's
athletics director Paul Giel. Yet it wasn't until 1993, under former men's
athletic director McKinley Boston, that the panel was utilized.

According to the manual, it is permissible for authorized institution
employees, like Matheson, to advise students on their future as a pro.
According to the NCAA, sports panels are allowed to do the following without
reprimand:

Visit with player agents or representatives of professional teams to assist
the student-athlete in determining his market value.

Review a proposed sports contract.

Securing loans for the purpose of purchasing insurance against a disability
injury.

Communicate directly with professional team representatives.

Assist the athlete in the selection of an agent by participating in
interviews with a potential agent.

"Basically we do everything that an agent would do," Matheson said. "When
you're 18, 19, 20 years old and lucky enough to go pro, you need help.
Hopefully there's someone who can supply you with (help) without
jeopardizing your right to play college football."

The panel seeks to ease the tension sports agents place on high-profile
athletes to leave school early and turn pro.

After a stellar junior season, Darkins contemplated leaving early for the
NFL draft. That's when he consulted the panel.

"We contacted the NFL to find out where he might be drafted," Matheson said.
"Then we got him salary information."

Three NFL teams, which Matheson declined to mention, gave the panel and
Darkins their analysis of his possibilities in the upcoming draft.

While Matheson wouldn't reveal the team's results, one thing is known:
Darkins returned for his senior year.

Another function of the panel is to funnel all calls from sports agents to
the athletes directly to panel personnel.

Darkins has been no stranger to the relentless pursuit of agents. "These
guys are constantly calling me," Darkins said. "The panel has taken a lot of
the pressure off. You know, you're not actually dealing with (the agents).
When these guys call me, I just tell them to call the panel.

"When the times comes, I'll take a look (at what agents have to offer)."

{For brevity, I've deleted a section about a Minnesota law regarding
signing student-athletes who have eligibility remaining.}

Pam Sweeney
Go Gophers!
Nastier, Bigger, Faster in '95-'96!