From:
Mark Sonnier <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Sonnier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 1995 09:22:10 -0800
On Fri, 6 Oct 1995, Reed H Munson wrote:

> What if the WCHA allows Mankato State to join the league? Do you think it
> will suck - more teams - diluted talent - teams don't get to play
> traditional rivals as much.
>
> Or do you think it will be good - more div 1 hockey teams - I can't think
> of any other postives...

Personally, I think it would be great.  I've gotten to see MSU play a few
times over the last cuple of seasons and I liked the way they stepped up
to the plate, so to speak.  (Sorry for the mixed metaphor...)  Not to
open the Pandora's box of comment regarding how a D2 team will be able to
compete against the Gophers, et al, but I'm all for expanding D1 hockey
wherever possible.  More teams, more fans, expanded playoffs, more TV, etc.

As a sidenote, presuming the WCHA would allow Mankato in (without dropping
a current member) the league would be forced to reduce the number of
conference games from the current four per team as per NC$$ rules.  That, I
feel, would be the best part of a Mankato membership as I have long held the
view that the league plays entirely too many conference games at the expense
of great non-conference rivalries.

'Nuff said...

Mark

Mark J. Sonnier, C.P.M.                                 Voice (907)786-6505
Purchasing Agent                                          Fax (907)786-6515
University of Alaska Anchorage           e-mail: [log in to unmask]
UAF Hockey fans say:  "Look out CCHA - 'Nooks in 95 are badder than Binky!"