From:
"John P. Old, III" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John P. Old, III
Date:
Mon, 13 Jun 1994 14:13:00 EST
A couple of comments/questions about the Laker schedule.

Two neutral site games surprised me.  The first is against Notre Dame in the
Palace of Auburn Hills (Oct 29).  It doesn't seem to me that the Lakers and
Notre Dame are going to draw enough to justify this.  Although some college
hockey games in and about Detroit have drawn VERY well, these all involved
either Michigan or Michigan State.  I realize the Lakers are national
champions and Notre Dame is a draw in itself, but that doesn't seem like
enough.  I wondered if there was a Michigan-Michigan State matchup scheduled
for the Palace on the same day or something.

The second completely threw me.  This is Ferris v. Lake Superior in Fraser
(March 2)!  Huh?!  This is a minor league rink - the Colonial league -
right?!         I can't imagine that Detroit area fans will turn out for this one.
 How many people does the Fraser rink seat.  It can't be very big, but if
not then why schedule a game this far from either school's home rink.   Is
there a simple explanation for this that I am missing?

Both of these scheduling moves must be assuming that the Lakers will have some
drawing power in the Detroit area.  This seems unlikely to me, although I
would very much like to think I am wrong.

James Old