From:
Glen Keeney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 25 Mar 1994 15:20:09 EST
There is no such thing as a fair selection process (at least, not fair in
the minds of all).  There are lots of victims that can attest to this.

If CC had made it, we'd be discussing how to change the system to
accommodate someone else.  Life is unfair - part of the challenge is to
succeed against the odds.  CC only needed about one more win anyplace
to squeeze past someone and make them the big loser of '94.

I'm sorry about CC, but I'd have been sorry about somebody anyway.

The best solution is to have no tournament, then everyone can take
pride in  the season's accomplishments - 50% will win their last game
(must be about 6-8 % now - an injustice to over 40% of the teams.

Tough to swallow the injustices of a bad world (NCAA, referees, malfunctioning
timeclocks, etc.) but CC fans take heart; you've got company and
sympathizers from the past - next time try for just one more win.

There has to be more satisfaction for everyone than just winning one
tournament.  Great games give other awards - if time is taken to
savor them.

AND, there are several teams who would have been proud to win the WCHA
and at least 3 of the conference champions are gonna lost out in
this tournament (and in some cases complain about some injustice
that was done to them).

Oh! and one more AND.  CC has gotten more publicity out of this
incident than they would have gotten any other way, including winning
the tournament.   (Name the team that won the championship the year
Bowling Green got unmercifully cut from the field.)