From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 17 Mar 1994 12:31:24 -0500
On March 16, 1994, David Josselyn wrote:
>On Wed, 16 Mar 1994, John Edwards wrote:
>
>> Q: What about Maine's claims that you were in a conflict of interest?
>> A: Maine also said that it was one school ramrodding it through. [He then
>> talked about how he was appointed interim commissioner, mentioned that Hockey
>> East was a one-sport league and they didn't know if they needed a full-time
>> commissioner] I would have supported the action if I was only the AD of
>> Merrimack College.
>
>I have to admit I'm shocked that DeGregorio said that, given I have heard
>and seen at Merrimack how much pressure he and his staff is under
>(especially Jim Seavey, the SID) as it appears the HE league office has
>migrated a few hundred miles south to Merrimack. While Haskell may have
>been perfectly able to be a "part-time" commissioner, Merrimack is a
>school that is downsizing across the board, and I know there is a lot of
>extra work attached to his temporary position as Commish and Jim's as
>acting assistant commish (so to speak- I haven't seen official notice of
>that.)

I think what he said was along the lines of because HE is a one-sport league,
he, and the league, didn't think they needed a full-time commissioner and
full-time staff 12 months of the year.

I didn't see what this had to do with the issue of Maine, except (I guess)
that DeGregorio is said to be seeking the Commissionership. I actually didn't
think that was the most interesting thing he said, I thought the fact that he
said he would have supported it as MC's AD was more interesting. I hope I
haven't misquoted him. I was "traumatized" after all. :-)

[Unrelated to this, I'm not "traumatized" anymore, my team won its 7th game.
 Life is good :-)]

I'm not sure what MC's situation is, since all I know about them is what Mike
writes...and that the Ottawa Citizen called them an NC$$ "power" :-)

>> Shawn Walsh:
>> Q: Should DeGregorio have been disappointed or surprised with Maine's action?
>> A: I'm not really a proponent of going to court. But we wanted to see it
>> settled on the ice, we wanted a chance to play. There were also teams who
>> were in a conflict of interest. Hockey East is likely to have 3 or 4 teams
>> in the NC$$ tourney, the other teams stood to benefit by keeping Maine out of
>> the tournament. The Court ruling was that nowhere in the HE bylaws is there
>> provision to ban a team for administrative errors. A team can only be banned
>> for misconduct, but there are four students at UNH who were arrested. That
>> would seem to be misconduct, but they weren't banned.
>
>Ahh, politicking.  But come on, 4 teams?  Lesseee... BU, Lowell, and then
>a jumble of Northeastern, UNH, and Maine.  Perhaps now I understand why
>Shawn made a point of mentioning UNH again...

Looking at the list there, I see that BU would be interested in keeping Maine
out, because a first-round loss doesn't help a team's tournament chances.

As I said the first time, I thought mentioning the UNH arrests was a low blow.
That's the kind of argument I'd use when I was 12 to try to get my sister in
trouble. My mother never bought it.

See you later,
John

--
John C.K. Edwards         Stats Geek, Ottawa Jr. Senators (CJHL, Jr. A)
Poli Sci/Law III                  It must be the pretzels!