ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 12:41:10 -0500
BobF wrote, in part..
> I am of the belief that should Maine have a strong weekend this weekend and
> then go on to win the Hockey East Tournament (admittedly a difficult feat,
> but someones got to win), that Maine will be the #1 seed in the east and
> not BU.

Not only would Maine get the bye, but winning out from here appears
to be the only way for Maine to get a bye.  Maine losing out from here
may still get Maine an entry to the NCAAs (as a 4th HEA team) ...
could be close and depend on lots of games yet to be played (by
others).

Should all future HEA games go the way of current HEA standings,
except that Maine beats BU in the semis and UNH in the finals, Maine
would have #1 in RPI (I haven't calculated PWR) and be a probable
1st round bye in the NCAAs.

Actually, any set of HEA outcomes probably guarantees 2 HEA teams
with the 1st round byes, unless an ECAC team wins both the regular
season and their tournament.

> Also, the team that I fear most right now is BC, not BU or UNH.

BC most talent; BU second w/talent, with best goalie.  UNH getting no
respect?

> Finally has anyone noticed the way assists have been dished out this year.
>  Assists should be earned not awarded and I'm seeing to much of the
> latter at games this year.

Yep, but I'm a bad one to write on this subject.  *All* refs & SIDs give
assists to those touching the puck.  The rule (my stat manual is at
home; rats) says assists are awarded to those taking part in the play
preceeding a goal.

If Dan breaks down the left side with the puck on a 2-on-1, with
Matthias on his right, Matthias breaks to the goal, and Dan shoots and
scores ... I say Matthias deserves an assist and the rules allow for it.  I
know, I'm nuts ... and my arguments in this area with refs and scorers
and SIDs never bear fruit. :-)

Go Maine!

Wayne Smith -- [log in to unmask] -- Old Town Landing, ME