From:
Paul Marchant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Marchant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 1993 08:49:55 EST
From: [log in to unmask]

|> I spoke with Michigan Coach Red Berenson last night after the airing of
|> a local radio show.  We discussed the possible seeding for the NC$$ and
|> the idea of seeding to maximize regional attendance.  Coach Berenson
|> said that heading into this weekend, the seeding of the CCHA/WCHA teams
|> are as follows:
|>
|>     1. Michigan
|>     2. Miami
|>     3. Minn-Duluth
|>     4. Lake Superior
|>     5. Wisconsin
|>     6. Michigan State/Minnesota (too close to call)
|>
|> [Erik, does this conform to current RPICH numbers?]
|>
|> This scenario, if it holds, would send Wisconsin to Mass., something the
|> NC$$ wishes to avoid.  The impression I received from Coach Berenson is
|> that if the selection committee can find a way for Wisconsin and Michigan
|> State to play at Joe Louis Arena, they will.
|>
|> IMHO, the pressure to "maximize regional attendance" sets up the
|> following possible scenario for the NC$$ (apologies to teams left
|> out, this is merely an example):
|>
|>        WEST                               EAST
|>     1. Michigan                        1. Maine
|>     2. Miami                           2. Boston Univ
|>     3. Minn-Duluth                     3. Harvard
|>     4. Lake Superior                   4. Clarkson
|>     5. RPI/UNH                         5. Wisconsin
|>     6. Minnesota                       6. Michigan State

|> Thus, Wisconsin and MSU would play in Detroit and the Golden Gophers
|> would be the only CCHA/WCHA team travelling to the east coast.  Again,
|> IMHO, the pressure for attendance presents the possibility of
|> compromising the integrity of the seeding process.

Maybe my memory is bad, but I thought that W1, W4, W6, E2, E3, and E6 played
in the West regional last year and E1, E4, E6, W2, W3, W5 played in the East.
Using your example, we'd have Maine, Clarkson, RPI, Miami, Minn-Duluth, and
MSU in the East and Michigan, LSSU, Wisconsin, BU, Harvard, and Minn in the
West.

Anybody know for sure what the brackets will look like? And John, everyone
keeps assuming that Michigan will get the #1 seed. Did Red indicate that
Michigan would still get it if Miami wins at the Joe?

|> Only time will tell.
|>
|>     John H
|>     U Mich

Paul Marchant     |  CCHA, BEST in NCAA Hockey  | (513) 865 - 1637
Mead Data Central |                             | Statutes Conversion Eng.
P.O. Box 933      |      Go BGSU Falcons!       | [log in to unmask]
Dayton, OH  45401 |                             | ...!uunet!meaddata!paulm