From:
Erik Biever <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Erik Biever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Sep 1992 13:14:52 CST
Paul Marchant writes:

>The big question is: if Minn or Wisc were in the final 16 of basketball,
>how would that affect the news and support of the two hockey teams
>(assuming they were in the hockey tournament)? Would the fans support
>the hockey team over the basketball team? Or would the basketball teams
>fall in the shadow of the hockey teams?

I'd really like to be wrong about this, but I think that at Minnesota the
basketball team would get the bulk of the attention in this situation.
It must have something to do with the prominence of basketball in the
national media.  After all, if the TV networks devote hours and hours of
coverage to the NC$$ basketball tournament and ignore hockey, it follows
that basketball must be more important, right?

I'm reminded of a point someone brought up on the list a few months ago
about the relative media attention to college hockey and basketball.
Gamblers bet on college basketball, but rarely on college hockey.  Perhaps
college hockey is better off with its current level of obscurity.

-- Erik