From:
David Parter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Mar 2011 11:25:32 -0500
J. Michael Neal <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I think "arguable" is the best way to describe what effect the O'Neill
> ejection had on the game.  I thought it should have been a minor.  There
> was definitely head contact, though I'm not sure how the rule reads with
> regards to hitting another player's head with your own.  Not only was
> UMD already ahead 3-1, but they scored 20 seconds later on a play that I
> thought had a lot less to do with Yale slumping from the bad call than
> it did from them having no idea how to stop Jack Connelly down low.

The brief replay I saw on my laptop didn't give me a good enough
view. My initial reaction on the play was "charging". But the ref was a
lot closer, and has (hopefully) had discussions with the supervisors and
has had training on this rule (which is a difficult rule, as the rule and
guidance say "this is really really important, that's why we made it a
major and game misconduct this year" and then say "but don't
overdo it, call a minor for something else some of the time")

BTW all the NCAA rules and rule-relating documents are online at
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaahome?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/ncaa/NCAA/Sports+and+Championship/Ice+Hockey/Womens/Playing+Rules/index.html

Here's the NCAA rule:

First, the point of emphasis:

Contact to the Head

This is an important safety issue and the committee is concerned about
some violent contact that has occurred in the game and caused injury. To
make this rule clearer, any time a player *targets* the head or neck
area of an opponent, it must be a major penalty and a game misconduct
penalty at a minimum. This rule is not intended to cover incidental
contact or contact with the head that occurs that should be a minor
penalty (e.g., unintentional high stick, body check where the contact is
initiated at the shoulder or torso, but the follow through makes some
contact with the head). Clear direction is being provided here to assist
officials, coaches and players with this rule.

The committee expects a heightened awareness to direct contact to head,
but it should be noted that many contact to the head fouls in previous
seasons that were minor penalties should remain minor penalties (e.g.,
an incidental high sticking foul would remain a minor for high
sticking).

The committee reminds coaches and players that the responsibility
remains with the player making the hit to avoid contact with the head
and neck area of an opposing player. Any contact which directly targets
the player’s head and neck area must be penalized with a major penalty
and a game misconduct or disqualification. A player delivering a check
to an unsuspecting and vulnerable player puts themselves in jeopardy of
being penalized under this rule.

Officials are to pay particular attention to these examples when applying
this rule. These are intended as guidance and include, but are not limited to,
the following:
• A player that has just released a shot or pass;
• A player that delivers a late hit;
• A player that extends and directs the arm, elbow, forearm or shoulder
to contact the head and neck area of the opponent;
• A player that extends the body and targets the opponent’s head or
neck area.
• A player that leaves the skates or launches in order to deliver a blow
to the head or neck area of the opposing player.
• A player that uses the stick in any way to target the head or neck area
(e.g., cross checking, butt-ending, etc.).

As additional guidance, when the initial force of the contact is a
shoulder to the body of the opponent and slides up to the head or neck
area, this is not classified as contact to the head. This type of action
may still be penalized, at the referee’s discretion, as another penalty
(e.g., charging, roughing, elbowing, etc.).

And the actual rule:

Contact to the Head
SECTION 8. A player shall not target and make contact with an opposing
player’s head or neck area in any manner (including, but not limited to, with
the shoulder, stick, elbow, etc.).

PENALTY—Major and game misconduct or disqualification at the
discretion of the referee.

[...]

• A player that leaves their skates or launches in order to deliver a blow
to the head or neck area of the opposing player; and
• A player that uses the stick in any way to target the head or neck area
(e.g., cross checking, butt-ending, etc.).

As additional guidance, when the initial force of the contact is a shoulder
to the body of the opponent and then slides up to the head or neck area,
this is not classified as contact to the head. This type of action may still
be penalized, at the referee’s discretion, as another penalty (e.g., charging,
roughing, etc.).

  --david