From:
NE Hampton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2007 13:27:20 -0500
> From what I have heard MSU fans aren't all that happy with him.
> So it does seem kind of odd that he would say that when he is in the tourney.

But did they get into the tournament by the hair of their chinny-chin-chin?
What if MSU had gone out in the first round of the CCHA playoffs and
Wisconsin had made the WCHA final -- if MSU ends up with a lower ranking
than Miami, then they would not have made it into the tournament and
Wisconsin would have instead. I think Comley realizes how close they came to
not making it, and maybe he feels bad for Wisconsin or Denver, but I think
he has motivation for what he says, and the opportunity to say it honestly
(I doubt what he says is popular with anyone from the two weak conferences
with automatic bids). It use to be that an independent got an automatic bid
(St. Cloud State in 1987) and that automatic bid got eliminated when the
idea was to force all independents into some conference. Maybe Comley had
something to do with that automatic bid elimination process? He may just not
like automatic bids for ANYBODY. Why not take the top 16 (by the PWR or RPI
or KRACH) and forego any and all automatic bids? The top 16 are the best by
whatever formula says they are, we can then just argue over the components
of the formula. But why not the top 12 or 16?

Nathan Hampton