From:
Doug Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 5 Aug 2005 23:24:41 -0400
Here is an interesting paragraph:
"The committee also strongly suggested that institutions follow the best
practices of institutions that do not support the use of Native American
mascots or imagery. Model institutions include the University of Iowa and
University of Wisconsin, who have practices of not scheduling athletic
competitions with schools who use Native American nicknames, imagery
or mascots."

...except if it involves a lot of money.  Someone can correct me if I'm
wrong, but I don't recall that Wisconsin or Iowa have cancelled any games
with Illinois for football or basketball.  Nor has Wisconsin cancelled any
hockey games with North Dakota or Iowa any wrestling matches with
Illinois.  Arguments about tradition, practicality or conference issues would
leave the whole position specious (I think I used that word right.)  Either
they do or they don't.  I'm not arguing for or against the larger issue, just
being irritated and amused at what I see as a hypocritical statement on
the part of the NCAA.

Doug Peterson