From:
David Parter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Apr 2005 19:42:11 -0500
> Washington, DC  MCI Center              Naval Academy   Atlantic Hockey
> Philadelphia    Wachovia Center Niagra/Rider    MAAC
> Tampa Bay               St. Pete Forum  UAH                     CHA
> Boston          BankNorth Garden                                Hockey East
> St. Paul                XCel Energy     Minnesota               WCHA
> Detroit         Ford Field                                      CCHA

> Note: Detroit bidding on 2010 and 11 Phrozen Phour's only.

> Interested in everyone's thoughts on the remaining finalists-- positive or
> negative.

Of course, the committee doesn't consult me - but here are my
thoughts:

I think Washington has a very good shot. It is the safest of the
"non-traditional" bids.

I hate the idea of playing at Ford Field (or any football
stadium). I think its fine for a gimmick game, but not for the
championship. I hope the committee feels the same way.

Not including Buffalo as a finalist stengthens Boston's bid
(which many would consider automatic).

St. Paul is as "automatic" as Boston -- perhaps even more so, except
for the lack of a Northeast/New England alternative to Boston in the
finalists. Therefore  I think they go (not in this order) with Boston,
St. Paul and DC.

Detroit hasn't had a tournament in a long time (not sure when they last
bid), but I think the downsides of a football stadium hurts them.

Philly I'd rate in the middle -- kinda like Buffalo before we went there.
Probably works out ok, but not an obvious big local draw (and I've heard
some negatives about the arena area, unlike Buffalo).

Tampa Bay is a big risk -- too far from *everyone*

should we have a contest for this?

        --david