From:
Craig Powers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Powers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 2004 21:28:51 -0600
Rick McAdoo wrote:
> I think folks are right that the prospect of a rookie cap that is more
> severe than currently exists in the NHL agreement will provide an
> incentive for more college players to turn pro ASAP.  I'm thinking
> that it is the agents who are more interested in getting them signed
> (and getting their fee based on the larger contract) than anyone
> else.  I'm not sure I understand the incentive for the NHL teams to
> sign players, though.  Do they have to sign a draftee by a certain
> time or face the prospect of losing them?  In the case of free
> agents, then at least I understand the urgency in signing someone
> before they are snapped up by another team.

I think it's a year after graduation.  There used to be the major junior
loophole, but I think that's at least partially closed.  In general, I
wouldn't expect teams to want to sign their own draftees unless they
think they need the help in the playoffs, precisely because they may
expect to have a more favorable salary structure.