From:
"Rowe, Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rowe, Thomas
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 11:33:37 -0600
Dear Bob:

I understand.  The argument centers around quantity, not substance.
Michigan may or may not be the National leaders in terms of the shear
number of times they strike up the fight song in a game (any game, not
just hockey) but they have to be in the top 10%.  I'n not dissing
Michigan or their band here - Michigan has a well-deserved reputation
for excellence in hockey as they do in many sports and our sport would
be well served by all schools having an enthusiastic pep band at the
games.  I certainly didn't call the band silly.

I will stick to my guns here, though.  There must be other tunes,
perhaps even traditional ones, that the band could play from time to
time instead of a seemingly endless, nay, even mindless, repetition of
the same tune.  To carry your argument to the logical extreme, the fans
at Yost would not cheer as loudly or as often at the games without the
band cuing them with the fight song.  I just think it's a tradition gone
a bit wild.

And I do feel for those poor Wolverines exposed so often to the same
tune they probably don't even hear it half the time.  :-)