Date:
Fri, 28 Feb 1992 11:05:06 EST
Thanks, Robin Lock, for putting our UPSIDA Stats on the Hockey-L.
Regarding your query about Army's Chad Sundem having five game-
winning goals for a 2-14 team...

I believe I have Army's record at 11-17-1, which I'm sure accounts
for all the games they've played against Division III schools,
Canadian schools, etc.  However, because there are no written rules
regarding which games "count" statistically, we simply use the stats
that the Army Sports Information Office sends us.

The "which games count" issue is one that varies from school to
school and league to league.  None of us who do the UPSIDA stats are
in a position to review each team's schedule and decide which games
we'll count statistically and which ones we won't.  If, for example,
Northern Michigan is going to count its games with a Canadian school
(which don't count in the eyes of the NCAA if those games are not
part of a school's sanctioned 34-game schedule) on its statistics,
then what can anybody else do about it?

Now, if it were written and accepted that only games against Division
I NCAA schools counted, it might make things a little easier.  (I am
not saying that those are the only games that should count -- I'm
only using D-I games as an example).

I really feel that until the NCAA gets involved in hockey as it is in
football, basketball, etc. and takes an interest in this kind of
thing, we will continue to have questions like "how can Chad Sundem
have five game-winners on a team that is 2-14."

Justin Doherty, Northern Michigan