From:
Erik Biever <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Erik Biever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 14:20:50 -0600
Jeff Partnow writes:

> Yep, these games continue to be exempt, though the need for the
> exemption is less clear, now that UAA and UAF are accepted members of
> the WCHA and CCHA, respectively. The initial intent was to provide
> impetus for teams from "America" to play up here, but, now that Alaska
> is just another road trip, it seems that many coaches are finagling the
> exemption into a mechanism to (a) schedule extra games and (b) try to
> make them home games to increase program revenue.
>
> Interestingly, UAA and UAF don't get any exempted games for playing one
> another, so we're stuck at 34 plus the odd exhibition, while our
> opponents get to play in the GLI, the Mariucci Classic, Everblade, etc.,
> as a reward for the "hardship" of travelling to a place that is more
> readily accessible than either Marquette or the Soo. Go figure.

The exemption doesn't apply only to hockey.  Check Article 17 of the NC$$
Division I Manual.  All sports, from Archery to Wrestling, exempt games played
against member institutions in Alaska, Hawaii, and, in some cases, Puerto Rico.

UAA and UAH could play additional games under the same exemption by enticing
the University of Hawaii to sponsor varsity hockey.  ;-)

-- Erik