From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jan 2002 14:29:50 -0500
Jim Love wrote:

>  A quick question re: exempt/non-exempt games .... In looking over this
> season's St. Cloud State schedule I see that they've scheduled 37 regular
> season games, 3 above the NCAA-mandated maximum.  I know that both of
> their season-opening games in the IceBreaker Tournament vs. Clarkson and
> Maine are exempt from the limit, but what about that 35th game ??  T

[snip]

> My understanding is that
> only Findlay remains in the mandated 2-year provisional status, so 4 games
> vs. CAH opponents UAH and Bemidji State must count toward the limit.  Are
> regular season CCHA/WCHA games vs. UAA and/or UAF played in Alaska exempt
> for the visiting team (I hadn't thought so) ??

A quick look at the other WCHA team schedules convinces me that regular-season
games in Alaska are still exempt for the visiting (non-Alaska) team.  Here's
how many regular-season games each WCHA team has scheduled:

Alaska-Anchorage -- 34
     No exemption for playing at Alaska-Fairbanks :-)

Colorado College -- 36
     Two games at Alaska-Anchorage

Denver -- 36
     Played in the Nye Frontier Classic at Anchorage

MSU-Mankato -- 36
     Two games at Alaska-Anchorage

Michigan Tech -- 36
     Two games at Alaska-Anchorage

Minnesota -- 37
     Two games at Alaska-Anchorage, plus the Hall of Fame game is exempt

Minnesota-Duluth -- 38
     !?!  I'm guessing on this one... they played two at Alaska-Anchorage,
plus they played in the Maverick Stampede on 10/12 and 10/13, and I'm thinking
that was exempt also, since it was the same weekend as the Icebreaker

North Dakota -- 35
     Played in the Hall of Fame game

St. Cloud -- 37
     Two games at Alaska-Anchorage, and the Icebreaker is exempt, so hey, they
have an opening available...

Wisconsin -- 36
     Two games at Alaska-Anchorage

--
Bill Fenwick                            Email:  [log in to unmask]
Digicomp Research                       Voice:  (607) 273-5900 ext 32