From:
"Jackson, Jeff" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jackson, Jeff
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 14:19:17 -0500
I don't think Michigan falls into that cagegory any more..  I remember
reading a couple of articles from both Detroit papers indicating that even
using the AD's figures, they are running a deficit within their athetic
department.  Among the causes listed were several factors, ranging from
problems with the football stadium turf, the ill-timed contract problems
they had with Nike last year (which caused the university to have to buy
uniforms for both the football and (I think) hockey teams), the addition and
almost immediate removal of a yellow ring around the outside of the football
stadium and the attempt to web broadcast the video for all hockey games.  I
think at least 1 athletic director lost his job over this......

Jeff Jackson
FBG Database Services
Fidelity Investments
82 Devonshire St., MZ V12C