From:
Doug Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 05:57:36 -0500
The following is the University of Minnesota's 2000-2001 athletic department revenue and
expense numbers, published today in the Star & Tribune.  Given that the athletic department is
self-funded (no University general funds), three sports pay for the remaining twenty.  With a
chronically underperforming football program, from a revenue generating perspective, is it an
wonder that the ticket prices for Gopher Hockey games are so high.

I also found the contrast in the women's basketball numbers pretty stunning (ignore that it needed
to qualified by saying "women's" and just compare the numbers to any other sport).  And can
anybody explain why (women's) volleyball would cost more than (women's) hockey?  I can't
imagine that they traveled that much more and certainly the equipment doesn't cost more.

Doug Peterson

Total       Total       Profit/
expenses    revenues    loss

Men's basketball
$2,760,800  $9,059,500  $6,298,700

Men's hockey
 1,412,500   5,457,500   4,045,000

Football
 7,275,800  10,253,000   2,977,200

Non-revenue producing sports

There was a $9.8 million loss among the 20 non-revenue sports.

Total       Total       Profit/
expenses    revenues    loss

Women's basketball
 1,268,112      44,578  -1,223,534