From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Oct 2001 09:36:47 -0400
"Anthony J. Buffa" wrote:

> I wonder what the ratio of his donated money is: hockey/educational
> items? I bet it is close to infinity :-)

The SI article that Edward Moller mentioned (and isn't it nice that they're finally
taking the time to focus on college hockey, *SMIRK*) indicated that Englestad's
donation was originally to be split 50-50 between construction of the new arena and
the school's general fund, I think... but gee, there were a lot of cost overruns on
the arena, and it wound up costing the whole hundred million.  It's a very one-sided
article, which is to be expected since Englestad refused to be interviewed (probably
a good move on his part).

> My old alma mater, RPI, recently received an anonymous donation of $360
> M, the largest single one in the history of any US university or college
> ... I wonder how much the hockey team got, or sports in general? I am
> guessing it is a bit less than 1 cent.

Oh, I'd be surprised if athletics didn't get SOMEthing, though certainly not $100 M.

--
Bill Fenwick                            Email:  [log in to unmask]
Digicomp Research                       Voice:  (607) 273-5900 ext 32