Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 08:43:21 -0400

>     The Big Red nickname is derived from a live bear named "Big Red" in
the
> 1920's or 30's.

There was a bear, but I believe his name was Touchdown.  According to
Cornell's
univerisity-sponsored Q&A service called "Ask Uncle Ezra," the name Big Red
appeared in 1905.  Here's a quote from the "Ask Uncle Ezra" 1988 archives:

"dear unc, where did big red come from? and was the football team ever
called the bears? signed, just curious

Dear Curious, Be curious no longer! The Cornell football team has never
been called the Bears, but was dubbed The Big Red in 1905. During that year,

Romeyn "Rym" Berry, a recent Cornell graduate (class of 1904), was writing
lyrics for a new football song. Since Cornell had no nickname at the time,
Berry simply refered to it as "The Big Red Team". The name caught on
right away and the rest, my friend, is history. By the way, Romeyn went on
to became graduate manager of athletics in 1919.
If you're disappointed about our mascot never being used as a team name,
here's some information that may help you "bear" it. The first live Cornell
bear mascot appeared in 1915 during Cornell's undefeated and national
championship season. The bear was often shipped in a dog cage to away games,

until the Animal Protective League had the practice halted. Later the
relieved
bear was let loose in the wilds of Western Pennsylvania. The current mascot
is
a Cornell undergraduate who performs at all home football and hockey games.
"

http://cuinfo.cornell.edu/Dialogs/EZRA/search_ezra.phtml?mode=body&exact_sea
rch=yes&date=1988-11-05&question_num=Q03&body=%22big+red%22+nickname

Christine Quinn
Cornell '94
Let's Go Red!