From:
Jim Love <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 22 May 2001 10:57:15 -0400
Good morning all -

  OK, it's the off-season, so this seems like a fair question .... :-)

  Does anyone know off-hand what team holds the record for consecutive
Frozen Four appearances ??  I'm guessing it's Michigan during their lock
on the Tournament during the late '40s and into the '50s, but I don't have
the resources at hand to check it out conclusively ....

  I'm curious because the topic came up between games at the NC$$ Men's
DivI lacrosse 1/4-finals in College Park on Sunday.  I always attend
Tournament Lacrosse games when they're played nearby (now that hockey's
over, any port in a storm :-) and having watched Maryland lose to Towson
State in the final 20 seconds, the talk turned to NCAA dynasties and how
hard/easy it is to maintain.  On the same day that the Maryland men failed
to advance to the lacrosse FF, the Maryland lax women won their 7th
consecutive National Championship !!  And on Saturday, Syracuse defeated
Hofstra to advance to the Men's lacrosse Phinal Phour for the *19th*
consecutive time !!  I believe the longest active streak in men's hockey
is BC with 4; to have done it 19 times (and counting) is simply amazing to
me.  Lacrosse currently has ca. the same number of DivI teams as hockey
(roughly 50), yet the parity that has swept the hockey FF in recent years
has yet to make a similar splash at the highest levels of championship
lacrosse.  Newcomers can/will win in the early rounds, but when it's time
to award the trophies, look for Princeton, UVA, JHU, Syracuse, UNC to be
there to accept it.  As for me, I'm pulling for Notre Dame this year, who
upset mighty JHU on Sunday to advance to their first FF - Go Irish !!!

  Cheers from Maryland - Jim