From:
"Cheryl A. Morris" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cheryl A. Morris
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 19:56:04 -0500
Actually with all the b*tch*n about teams playing two nights in a row, the
fairest configuration would be to play two games on both Thursday and
Friday, with the two winners squaring off on Sunday afternoon.  This
really sets off the Regionals as something special, and allows the
sponsoring arena the opportunity to sell Thursday/Sunday and Friday/Sunday
packages.  It also limits travel to two weekends.

Going to four regional sites probably doesn't work, and we have been over
this territory previously.  As my friends in the West remind me, the
distances out there don't lend to a large attendance at a neutral site.
Campus sites probably remain the most likely venues, and since the Western
schools don't seem to complain much about the obvious advantage a home
team would gain, I won't either.  Back East four sites would demand two
new sites for the first round, along with Worcester and Albany.  The most
obvious locations would be the Metro-NYC market, and Buffalo, but it is
uncertain what the draw would be, at least initially.  Ironically Albany
wouldn't even be available the next two years as it is hosting the NC$$
Wrestling Championships in 2002 and the NCAA Eastern Regionals in
Basketball in 2003.

So I think a 16 team tournament makes all the sense in the world.  Two
three day regional events, followed by the traditional Phinal Phour makes
for a very exciting climax to the hockey season.  And, sour grapes
notwithstanding, it keeps the MAAC from stealing the ECAC's second bid
into the Tournament.
Brian Morris                    RPI Engineers--Maybe Next Year