From:
Joe Makowiec <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe Makowiec <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 19:26:45 -0500
At 08:36 AM 3-22-2001 -0500, Kretsch Kenneth wrote:
>Why don't the non-ivies join the MAAC to form a super-conference? They would
>being additional prestige to the MAAC, and be joining a group that has Div 1
>ambitions. The geography wouldn't be any more difficult.
<snip>
>It's also kinda interesting that the Ivy league has not expanded in recent
>years, while many other leagues have. Is Union, for example, on par,
>academically and athletically, with the other Ivies?

I think part of the reason is that four of the non-Ivy ECAC schools are Div
III schools with Div I hockey (Clarkson, Saint Lawrence, Rensselaer and
Union).  The NC$$ gets hissy-fits about mixing divisions, and the MAAC is
nominally Div I.  Colgate and UVM are already Div I.

ISTR that 20-some odd years ago, there was some discussion about Colgate
going Ivy, but they would have had to upgrade some facilities and/or
programs.  Any Colgate historians out there?  Union is probably near the
same level academically as the Ivies, but athletically, they're Div III and
apparently happy that way.

Also, note that the MAAC appears to be primarily a squeakball conference
(check their website at http://www.maacsports.com/ and see which sport gets
top billing...)

Joe
Joe Makowiec can be reached at: