From:
MJ Connors <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
MJ Connors <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 17:28:27 -0500
PROVIDENCE COLLEGE MEN'S HOCKEY
PRE-NCAA PRESS CONFERENCE
Tuesday, March 20, 2001

Head Coach Paul Pooley -
Opening Comments -
"We are excited about going to Grand Rapids and we want to make some
noise.  I've seen some Wisconsin tape and I've talk to some people about
Wisconsin.  I think they are very similar to what we do.  They like to
cycle the puck, they have a couple of real good players and their
goaltending is really strong.  I think we match up well against them.  I'm
really excited about the opportunity to play them.  Dany Heatley is one of
the best players in the country.  As I talked with someone today, we've
faced Brian Gionta and  Kolanos who are very good players too.  So it is
something that we are going to have to pay attention to.  If you look at
the numbers we match up pretty well."

Senior Co-Captain Jay Leach
Did you have any sense that a season like this could happen after last year?
"From the beginning of last year we knew we had some freshman that could
play.  This year, we came in with a good attitude.  We had the attitude
that we are here to win.  We got on that wagon and took it from there.  I
don't know if there was specific time when we knew that we were better than
last year.  We were .500 last season.  I think something clicked this
year.  So hopefully we can continue that this weekend."

Chances for PC in this Tournament?
"It is a one shot deal.  We have been pretty good so far, playing with our
backs against the wall.  But, I like our chances.  We have a young team.  I
don't know a lot about Wisconsin.  If we beat Wisconsin, we will have to
face Michigan State.  You just have to get hot at the right time.  We will
have to come out with a lot of fire.  We have nothing to lose and
everything to gain.  I think no one will be scared and everyone will be
ready to play."

Sophomore Goaltender Nolan Schaefer
On playing in goal -
"I don't know if I have seized the position.  It has been me and Boyd all
season.  We play together.  We like to think or ourselves as a
unit.  Whoever is playing at that time, we try to help each other out.  We
are going to look at it like we have all season long and just try to do the
best for our team."

How do you handle the pressure of having to carry a team -
"You see that the goalie has a big responsibility, but so does every member
of the team.  We all try to prepare and each guy has to do his job
individually.

Senior Co-Captain Matt Libby
On the team's defense -
"We have come together real well.  The expectations at the beginning of the
season were real low.  I think people looked at Providence at the start of
the season and they thought we lost some quality guys.   I've been
impressed with the way the freshman have played.  Guys like Jason Platt
have not been recognized the way they should, but they show up every
night.  Jay and I have tried to be leaders back there for them.  It has
been fun."

Do you think this game will be a case of where you guys can showcase your
defense?
"I hope so.  I think if we want to have the kind of effort to allow us to
win, we have to play great defense.  I think that with Nolan and Boyd and
our defenseman we can make some noise out there."

M.J. Connors
Providence College
Sports Information
Ph: 401-865-2202