From:
Bill Corrigan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Corrigan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 15:18:20 -0500
The big hockey draw on the Brown campus this weekend will not be the
season-end finale at Meehan Auditorium when the Bears host Princeton and
Yale.  Instead, there's a 25th anniversary reunion of Brown's 1975-76
team (Gilligan McIntosh, Bothwell, McCabe et al) which won the Ivy
championship, was runner-up to Boston University in the ECAC
championship game, and then played in the NCAA Final Four (that's what
we called it then)  at D. U. Arena in Denver.

I recall that the NCAA tourney was originally scheduled to be played at
the McNichols Arena in downtown Denver, but was moved to the Denver
University campus at the last minute when the NCAA decided there might
be too many empty seats if they kept the tournament at McNichols.

I still remember watching the Gophers Herb Brooks (transparently) send
goon defenseman Russ Anderson out to get All-America Terry Meagher, the
B. U. captain, out of the game during the first minute of play in the
second semi.  He succeeded (both players tossed for fighting), Minnesota
advanced and won the national championship, but 1980 Olympics or no,
I've never had much regard for Brooks since that incident.

By the way, the Bears lost, 7-6 in double overtime, to defending the
champion Michigan Tech Huskies in the semis, but then rebounded to nip
B.U., 8-7, in the conso to finish third in the nation at 23-7-0.  Ah,
those were the days.....Indeed!

Bill Corrigan

LET'S GO BRUNO!