From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jan 2001 17:22:47 -0600
>I see we have some very knowledgeable people here, so I'm going to ask an
>elementary question: in college hockey, do all matching penalties result in
>a four-on-four? Is it ever five-on-five? I have been watching a mix of
>college, junior and pro hockey and get confused at this. Thanks.

Normally, you substitute for matching penalties (ie play five-on-five).

The only exception in college is if the following situation applies:
1. There are no penalties already on the scoreboard.
2. One player of each teams receives one minor penalty.

Then the teams will play four-on-four, and both minors will go up on the
clock.

So, assume that nobody else in the box:
Example 1: A 27 - 2 for roughing, B 14 - 2 for roughing
    A and B play four-on-four for two minutes.

Example 2: A 27 - 2 for roughing, B 14 - 2 for roughing, 10-minute misconduct
    Nothing goes on the clock. The teams play five-on-five

Example 3: A 27 - 2 for roughing, B 14 - 2 for roughing, 2 for slashing
    Only the extra B minor goes on the clock. A has a 2:00 5-on-4 power play.

Example 4: A 27 - 2 for roughing, A 21 - 2 for roughing
           B 14 - 2 for roughing, B 12 - 2 for roughing
    Nothing goes on the clock. Five-on-five.

For comparison purposes, Junior "A", and anything else run by either USA Hockey or Canadian Hockey don't use that exception, they'd play five-on-five all the time after matching minors.

Most pro leagues (as well as Major Juniors), I think, use the same exception as the NCAA. The IHL changed their rule this year so that minors always cause a team to play short, but they are, I believe, alone in this.

John
--
  John Edwards - Carleton (Ont) '96, Manitoba '00 - [log in to unmask]
               Carleton U. Football - Undefeated since 1998