From:
Jason E Patton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jason E Patton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Oct 2000 07:41:25 -0700
There was a shootout in last year's Quinnipiac Cup and I think it may have
been the first shootout after the rule described below was implemented.

-jp

--- John T Whelan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> >> I see that both games of the Ice Breaker last night were 2-2 ties,
> >> with advancement determined by shootouts.  I thought (as a resut of a
> >> HOCKEY-L discussion from a couple of years ago) that the NCAA required
> >> 20-minute overtimes be used *whenever* a game required an outcome for
> >> advancement purposes.  Has there been a rule change?
>
> > I think that is true for the NCAA to recognize the outcome of the
> > game. For NCAA purposes, (according to USCHO), those two games will
> > be recorded as tie games.
>
> Yes, that much is (relatively) obvious.  But before last season the
> tournament organizers would not even have been allowed to use a
> shootout.  I hadn't realized it, but that rule was changed before the
> 1999-2000 season, as described in
> http://www.ncaa.org/news/19990524/active/3611n07.html
>
>                                           John Whelan, Cornell '91
>                                      http://www.amurgsval.org/joe/

=====
       |__   __| |  __  |  Jason Patton        http://www.gojp.com/jp/
 ____     | |    | |__| |      Following College Hockey Since 1991
|____|    | |    |  ____|  Boston U. 1991-1995     Princeton 1995-1998
        __| |    | |       1995 NCAA Champions     1998 ECAC Champions
       |____|    |_|        MAAC Hockey League Game of the Week 1998-