From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 12:07:12 -0400
From today's Bangor Daily News:  http://www.bangornews.com

Walsh to undergo immunotherapy
By Larry Mahoney, Of the NEWS Staff

ORONO - University of Maine men's hockey coach Shawn Walsh, who had a
cancerous kidney removed on July 7, said Wednesday he will undergo intense
immunotherapy it is hoped will kill the remaining cancerous cells in the
lymph nodes under his breastplate.

The doses of medication he will receive are designed to "shock the immune
system and take it up a level higher than it could normally go. It will
either kill the [cancerous] tumors, shrink them, or it won't do anything at
all," said Walsh, who addressed a press conference in the Dexter Lounge at
Alfond Arena.

He will undergo two treatment cycles lasting 20 days apiece with the first
one beginning Aug. 11 at the Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center at UCLA.

The second cycle will tentatively start on Sept. 29 or Oct. 1.

The timing of the treatments works out well because Walsh will be around
when the team begins dry land training the first week in September and when
formalized on-ice workouts start on Sept. 24.

He will miss the first two weekends of the season - including the
season-opening home series against defending national champion North Dakota,
which beat Maine in the Frozen Four semis 2-0 in April - but he is hoping to
be back for good when the second treatment cycle is completed.

Walsh said he was in California last week undergoing a battery of tests and
received some "great news" on Monday.

"The cancer is localized under the chest plate," said Walsh, alluding to the
fact it hasn't spread any farther.

Still, he knows he has a battle on his hands.

"It's not going to be easy. It's certainly going to be a challenge. But life
is a series of challenges," said the 45-year-old Walsh.

He echoed Lance Armstrong's sentiment in the two-time Tour de France
champion's book "Not About the Bike" pertaining to Armstrong's successful
fight against cancer.

As he was to begin chemotherapy, a determined and defiant Armstrong's
attitude was "Bring it on" and that is the frame of mind Walsh said he will
take to Los Angeles next week.

The primary side effect will be fatigue, but Walsh has also been told by his
doctors that he will experience chills and the worst fever and flulike
symptoms he has ever suffered.

"Unfortunately, I won't lose my hair," quipped Walsh. "I was hoping I would
go bald [and lose all my gray hair] and the new hair that came in would be
dark."

Chemotherapy doesn't work on kidney cancer or renal cell carcinoma, but
Walsh said immunotherapy has been the standard FDA-approved treatment for
his type of cancer, which is rare.

The surprisingly healthy-looking Walsh said he has "residual pain" from the
kidney removal and that the 18-inch-long incision prohibits him from taking
a normal golf swing. He also admits to getting tired "around 5 or 6 o'
clock."

But he said he feels "great" mentally and physically and has been able to
walk two to four miles each day with his wife, Lynne, as well as do some
light weightlifting.

"I mowed my lawn two weeks after having the kidney removed, but my doctor
wasn't real pleased. That's OK," said Walsh. "I've got to stay strong."

He said he has been rejuvenated and deeply touched by the outpouring of
support from his family, the community, the state of Maine and the entire
hockey community.

"It has been inspiring. It really helps you every day," said Walsh.

He said he received a handwritten note from President Clinton, who
entertained his 1993 and 1999 national championship teams at the White
House.

"And he sent it during the [Israeli-Palestinian] peace summit," said Walsh.
"It's amazing where our program has reached. It's neat."

He has heard from a multitude of former Maine players, even those who played
for former coach Jack Semler.

"The Maine hockey program is a family. This has galvanized all the players,"
said Walsh.

Rival coaches, fans and opposing players have also sent letters of support.

"A New Hampshire fan said he will still boo the Black Bears, but I might get
a few cheers until the puck is dropped," said Walsh.

He said he may act as a "general manager-coach" during his treatments and
the recovery period and that he has complete faith in 12-year assistant
coach Grant Standbrook and three-year assistant Gene Reilly along with new
volunteer assistant Matt Thomas.

"Grant will coordinate the personnel side of things and Gene will be the
bench coach with Grant acting as his sounding board. That's where Grant is
at his best," said Walsh, who has led Maine to 10 NCAA Tournament
appearances, seven Frozen Four berths, two national championships, and a
379-203-37 record.

He doesn't expect his situation to be detrimental to the progress of his
team, which will be one of the youngest he has coached at Maine.

"Hopefully, it'll be motivation for our players so they can be strong and
have a great season," said Walsh, who wrote letters to his players
explaining what to expect.

He will also communicate

with his coaches and players

from California.

He reiterated that an important part of his recovery will be to continue
coaching "because it's what I love doing. I hope I can provide my three
hours of intensity during practice because I enjoy practice and that has
been the real glue behind our success."

Walsh said he spent some enjoyable time with former players Bob Corkum (Los
Angeles Kings) and Paul Kariya (Mighty Ducks of Anaheim) last week and said
Kariya is "adamant" about the power of meditation as a stress-reliever and
intends to help him learn how to meditate.

Walsh also said he has learned the value of prayer, the power of God and the
"unselfishness of mankind" throughout his ordeal.

"No matter how this turns out, I consider myself a lucky, lucky, lucky man,"
said Walsh.

Lynne Walsh said she has been overwhelmed by the prayers being dedicated to
her husband.

"I feel the power of prayer. Normally, I'd be flipping out right now," she
said.

She said her husband's athletic background and positive attitude will be
extremely important.

"He sees this as a challenge, as a big national championship game. He's
going to do whatever he can to win. My gut feeling is that he will beat
this," said Lynne Walsh. "Even if this immunotherapy doesn't work, there are
10 other treatments we can try.