From:
"Satow, Clay" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Satow, Clay
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2000 08:51:56 -0400
>>Great games but knowledge and bias of announcers detracted from coverage.
Did no other school have any celebrity alums on the payroll to show on TV.
The constant shots of Flutie and Leetch were too much.<<

Not replying to you, specifically Jeff, but to this and the many other
posts.  Usually I dismiss complaints about the announcer bias as biased
interpretation by fans of one team.  However, on Saturday, I thought the
coverage was unbalanced, and I was rooting for BC (I think I'm fairly
objective, and I'm certainly no fanatic).  I do believe, though, that if
Brian Leetch or Doug Flutie had been from North Dakota that they would still
have been plenty of "cameo shots."  And in fairness, there were the
obligatory "goalie parent" shots of Karl Goehring's parents and a shot of
Ralph Englelstad.  But because of the timing, it appeared more a matter of
"going with the apparent winner" than balanced coverage.

I'm especially disappointed in Jack Edwards (who FWIW I believe did work one
time at one of the Boston broadcast stations), who I've regarded as a decent
journalist.  I would have thought the other guy was a moron, even if he had
been the pinnacle of objectivity.

I agree that they were great games, which is fortunate, because the coverage
was lacking.  It was clear that the broadcasts were not aimed at the hard
core college hockey fan -- notice the explanation about the two line passes
and the no touch up icing?

>>Further on BC, does anyone else think the Gionta empty netted was cheap on
Thursday?  It was a good steal and really didn't matter but it was like
rubbing salt in the wound to me.  And I am not even an SLU fan.<<

I've seen this complaint elsewhere, and I can't help thinking that if it
were anyone other than Brian Gionta this would be a non-issue.  When would
it NOT have been "rubbing salt in the wound" but merely an insurance goal?
Five seconds?  Seven seconds?  Two seconds? Players cannot sense the time on
the game clock that closely, and competitive players play to the buzzer,
especially in a national semifinal.   In a closely contested play as that
one was, they're not  looking at the clock.  I'm sure that Gionta knew that
time was running down, but I truly doubt that he could tell whether there
was three seconds left or three tenths.

Clay