From:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 11:27:38 -0400
Having watched the SLU-BC semi on tv as well as having seen
the SLU-BU marathon live in Albany 2 weeks ago, I'm left trying to figure out the SLU strategy.

SLU was the only division 1 team to win both their league regular season and tournament title. While some might argue
that this accomplishment is diminished by the fact that the ECAC
is not highly regarded, one can look at SLU's results against
two of Hockey East's powerhouses (and right now, HEA has established itself as one of the top leagues).

Yet, as I watched both SLU games, I always had the feeling that they were struggling. Derek Gustafson is a very good goalie. When you take into account that he's only a freshman, it makes my skin crawl (as a fan of a rival ECAC team). but, however much
difference a goalie makes to a team, he cannot carry the team
for a whole season. Nor did he have to. The SLU defensive pairings, led by Justin Harney was truly impressive to an
astute hockey fan who sees beyond the glitz and glitter of
high scoring forwards. SLU wasn't a fun team to watch, reminding
me very much of the Washington Capitals of the 80's and 90's.
Their strategy seemed to be to play defense and then more defense. Their offensive strategy seemed to be to clog up center
ice and the passing lanes but generate absolutely no offense at all unless their opponents made a defensive blunder giving
the Saints a scoring opportunity. While that strategy intuitively strikes me as inviting disastrous results,
the history of the Saints' season proves me wrong.

While I watched the SLU-BU battle, I had the feeling that
BU was pretty much in control of the game. They seemed faster,
better passers, better shooters and more physical. Yet SLU never
trailed and ultimately won the game. I thought that perhaps I was missing something since I sat down low at the Pepsi. Maybe
I was unaware of an overall strategy that I couldn't see because I was not high enough to see the pattern.  Watching the BC game on tv would give me that perception although I was at the mercy of the camerman.  Yet, after the BC game ended, I felt that BC dominated SLU even more than BU had 2 weeks before. Yet, BC only led for under two minutes out of 60 (obviously, the most important two minutes, but only 2 minutes nevertheless).

SLU has proved that controlling center ice and the passing lanes
stifles the best of opponents and that the key to success is discipline, discipline, discipline.

If they can get their hands on a couple of big aggressive forwards next year, there will be no stopping them.

On a slightly different note, what can anyone say about Hockey East's emergence as the dominant league in the country. This isn't to say that BC is guaranteed the title but when a team like BC is able to make the Phrozen Phour three years in a row, make it to the finals this year but couldn't even win their league's regular season or tournament title, that says a lot about HEA's depth.

Mark lewin
RPI
class of '69