Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 2000 11:05:08 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Monday, April 03, 2000 10:37 AM
Subject: crowd support

>This discussion brings up an interesting point. We have two
>Gopher fans who will be rooting for UND, presumably because they are WCHA.
I certainly will be rooting for SLU though that's no surprise since RPI and
SLU are not "bitter" rivals. Yet, for several years, I found myself favoring
Clarkson in the tournament although they are RPI's most bitter rival.

>So I raise the question to fans of BU and BC, Maine and UNH:
>if your team's most bitter rival were the only Hockey East team
>in the tournament (maybe even the only eastern team), would you root for or
against the rival.  I guess the same question could be asked of the
Michigan/Michigan State rivalry and the any WCHA
>team/Minnesota rivalry.  We've heard from Minnesota fans, but do fans of
Minnesota opponents feel the same way?

As someone who is also a bit of a Michigan fan, I will say that I do root
for Michigan State, through gritted teeth, when they play eastern teams.*
My loyalties stick with the Big 10 and the WCHA, though that set of
priorities will occasionally become confused (I root for Michigan over
non-Big 10 WCHA teams, but non-Big 10 WCHA teams over Michigan State; OSU
falls in beween).  My reasoning is that the Spartans are [insert desired
profanity here], but they're OUR [reinsert].

J. Michael Neal

*This, however, does not stop me from laughing at their annual NCAA
tournament meltdown.