From:
Andrew Weise <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 08:51:17 -0500
John Whelan wrote:

> There's a brief article at
> http://www.uscollegehockey.com/news/2000/03/29_apology.html

Frankly, I don't blame FSNE or MSC. They had contracts with
the Celtics & Bucks to broadcast those games no matter what.
Whether or not everyone thinks it's right to do something like
that is beside the point. They had to honor their contract or
there would be legal ramifications. It's a tough position to be in,
nonetheless. Who would have thought that this game was going
into 4 OTs, anyway? ESPN had the same dilemma in 1995 during
the Maine-Michigan classic.

If you think about it, it wasn't that hard of a decision. Honor
their Celtics/Bucks contract and anger thousands of viewers or
not honor their contract and anger thousands more viewers. The
argument that everyone here is making is valid, but so is the
networks' argument. Who's more justified? I have no idea. If we
want to blame anyone, maybe we should blame BU & SLU for not
scoring another goal in regulation.  ;-)

-Andy