From:
John Whelan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Whelan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 13:58:00 +0200
I write:

>>ESPN has a policy which I think shows integrity and attention to their
>>mission as a sports network.  FSN apparently does not.  Remember this
>>the next time someone complains about ESPN's Phrozen Phour coverage.

Greenie replies, in part

> To say that FSN or FSN-E show no integrity while ESPN does is an ignorant
> statement.

Please read the paragraph again carefully.  What I was saying was that
FSN apparently does not have such a policy.  (I.e., the implied
comparison was between the two networks, not a policy and a network.)

> Furthermore, I've witnessed countless programming on ESPN and ESPN2 that
> has suffered from commitments to broadcasts that cater to a larger
> audience; in particular, tennis and soccer have been delayed and in some
> cases pre-empted entirely, and not just to games.

> Not long ago, ESPN failed to broadcast a major international soccer match
> because of Michael Jordan's retirement. It wasn't just coverage of his
> press conference; the entire day of programming was shuffled around and in
> many cases (the soccer match) not rebroadcast, just so they could show
> endless Jordan highlight reels.

I was not aware of either of these events.  Were they scheduled live
events which were not broadcast live for reasons other than a previous
live broadcast running long?
                                          John Whelan, Cornell '91
                                     http://www.amurgsval.org/joe/