From:
Bill Schneller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Schneller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 23:50:57 -0500
Between now and next week I expect the Providence Journal will be including
enough snippets to build anticipation for the games that it might make it
worth a quick check of their site, www.projo.com. In Tuesday's paper Jim
Donaldson's column laments the aging Providence Civic Center which is
likely seeing its last Frozen Four and the fact that Wisconsin won't be
coming to town. He tells two stories that I thought worth repeating.

In 1982 as North Dakota closed out a 5-2 victory their fans began chanting
"We're number one, we're number one." And the very classy Wisconsin fans
responded with their own cheer, "We're more fun, we're more fun."

And after the Badger's first visit in 1978 AD Elroy 'Crazy Legs' Hirsch put
$500 down on the bar at Players Corner Pub and said beer should be served
to anyone wearing red. I didn't get to Players that night but after the
game my wife and I did stop for a bite in a restaurant probably 10 miles
outside Providence. It was incredible, half the people in the place must
have been in red.

It's that kind of enjoyment of the game and good natured fanaticism that
IMO makes college hockey the best.

Let the games begin!
-Bill Schneller