From:
D B Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
D B Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 21:28:24 -0500
I agree with greenie that the FOX systems should not be slammed for
carrying the live games on their various affiliates.  It is only their New
England affiliate which is the offending party, and it only affected those
with access to the game on cable systems with limited channel slots.

Your solution, IMHO, is to call your local cable company and say that
their selection of signals is pitiful, and that you are going to buy the little
dish.

Yes, I understand FOX still makes their money in the switch,  but someone
pays for not utilizing bandwidth better.  You, as a sports fan want CHOICE,
not a never-ending parade of shopping channels, rasslin', or box-office
bombs regurgitated for the umpteenth time.

I also recognize this does not help if you are on the road, but a few questions
to locals, or well-placed Presidential portraits usually will yield a fine
facility with (satellite) dishes...

>From: greenie <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      Oh yes, let's yell at Fox New England. NOT.
>To: [log in to unmask]
>
>Fox New England, Empire, MSC and any other channel that carried the
>regionals should be praised for their coverage, not lambasted or criticized.
>
>In FSNE's case, although they did cut away to a Celtics game they at least
>returned with the coverage and showed the remaining game in its entirety.
>They could just as easily have re-joined the game in the 4th overtime, or
>not shown the finish at all.
>
>Yes, this also caused a delay in the broadcast of the Maine-Michigan game.
>The alternative could have been to join that game in progress, showing only
>the 3rd period.
>
>Considering that all of the Fox Sports regionals are under HEAVY pressure
>from Fox Sports headquarters to push everything aside for what it considers
>"national" broadcasts (such as the Celtics), I feel FSNE did a wonderful
>job in making the tournament games available, in their entirety.
>
>I can guarantee you that FSNE had to fight tooth-and-nail with Fox Sports
>HQ to broadcast these games. They could just as easily chosen not to bother
>with tbe broadcast and given another channel with a lower subscriber base
>(such as Boston's 68) the rights for the New England area.
>

>Furthermore, all of this whining about FSNE's coverage is somewhat
>pathetic. If you are not in New England and have DirecTV, you had other
>options to view the games live and uninterrupted (such as MSC).
>
>And if you live in New England, WHY WEREN'T YOU AT THE GAMES IN PERSON?
>
>Remember that college hockey isn't exactly the biggest TV draw, even in the
>areas where the home teams are involved. As meaningless as the Celtics game
>may have been, it likely drew higher ratings than the BC-Wisconsin and
>BU-SLU games combined.
>
>Two years ago the only way to see all the tournament games was via a PPV
>package; before that, there were no guarantees. Now we're given the
>opportunity to see EVERY game of the tournament.
>
>And you people want to COMPLAIN?
>

>greenie
>S P O O N  ! !
>
>HOCKEY-L is for discussion of college ice hockey;  send information to
>[log in to unmask], The College Hockey Information List.

Dan Doucette

Maine - National Champions 1993 and 1999 -
first in the new Millennium ?

Bill Gates should be sentenced to using a Macintosh
for the rest of his natural life.