From:
John Whelan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Whelan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 17:03:53 +0200
Tim Newman writes:

> It would be nice to get clarification from the NCAA about exactly what is
> the status of teams in the second year of transition?  Are they D-I for
> some rules but D-II for others?  Even if games against such teams don't
> count for ranking in the tourney-selection criteria, do games against such
> teams count toward the number of games necessary to be
> tournament-eligible?  In a number of years, for example, Army played about
> 15 to 18 D-I games.  As a result, Army was not tournament-eligible.
> However, it was my understanding that the teams that played Army COULD
> count their games against Army toward the minimum number of D-I games
> necessary to be tourney-eligible.  For example, if Colgate scheduled 19
> games against ECAC and other D-I schools and 3 games against Army, it was
> my understanding that Colgate became tourney-eligible.  The games against
> Army might not be used in computing Colgate's ranking for the tourney, but
> Colgate would still be tourney eligible.

This actually happened in the past, when many of the current MAAC
teams played in mostly Division II or III leagues, and were Division I
without playing enough games to be eligible for the tournament.
Occasionally, a Division I independent like Army or Air Force would
reach the 20-game minimum only by including games against Iona,
Fairfield, et al, but only games against other tournament-eligible
teams were included in the calculation of the tournament selection
criteria.
                                          John Whelan, Cornell '91
                                     http://www.amurgsval.org/joe/