From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 15:33:58 -0500
Just out of curiosity...

It was reported on USCHO back in January that Wayne State had used an
ineligible player during fall semester and as a result would "apparently" have
to forfeit six wins and a tie.  Yet there seems to be no evidence of the
forfeits having ever happened; USCHO reports Wayne State's record as 12-16-2
rather than the 6-23-1 it would be with the forfeited games, and nowhere on the
USCHO site, CHA site, or Wayne State site does the question of the forfeits
seem to be addressed further.

According to the original USCHO report, the player in question never told the
Wayne State coach or the university about eight major junior games he had
played, which should have rendered him ineligible for at least a year.  I'm
wondering if the NCAA decided not to enforce the forfeits due to it being the
player, rather than the coach or school, who was hiding something.

--
Disclaimer -- Unless otherwise noted, all opinions expressed above are
              strictly those of:

Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86 and '95                                             DJF  5/27/94
LET'S GO RED!!                                                  JCF  12/2/97
"Anyway, after I've made my James Joyce faux pas, he invariably gives me an
 indulgent chuckle:  'Heh-heh-heh-heh, ohhh my -- James Joyce didn't write
 _Trees_.  _Trees_ was written by Joyce Kilmer.'  Of course, then I ask 'who
 is SHE?' and I destroy myself completely."
-- Shelley Berman