From:
Michael Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 07:12:24 -0600
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Lewin" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sunday, March 26, 2000 10:27 PM
Subject: eastern regionals comments

> One point to note: Maine Captain Cory Larose was called for butt-ending
with under 5 minutes left in the Michigan game.
> It was announced as a 5 minute major and a game DQ which means
> that Larose will have to sit out the semi-final game. Needless to say,
Shawn Walsh (who I could hear clearly from the opposite
> side of the arena all night) was rather vociferous in his comments to the
referee all night. I have no no comment on the butt-ending call as it
happened in a blind spot for me. But, considering that the recipient of the
call got up and skated off
> under his own power (looking a little shaken up, but certainly not
injured), I suspect that Walsh may have a point. I can see the major and a
game misconduct, but a game DQ going into the semi-finals seems a bit harsh

It was an ugly game.  Barrett Heisten should have been tossed for spearing
in the first.  Brendan Walsh jumped Mike Comrie well after the horn to end
the first.  Both Jeff Jillson and Jed Ortmeyer got away with dangerous shots
at someone's knee.  The butt-ending was a good call.  It happened after the
end of the play, and it was delivered to the back of Comrie's head when he
was on the ice; that there was no significant injury doesn't change the
penalty.  The only question I had is that I thought that the ref got the
wrong guy.  It was tough to see the numbers even on replay, but I thought
LaRose was tangled up with Comrie along the boards, and it was someone else
that skated by that took the cheap shot.

J. Michael Neal